The WSET® Level 1 Award in Sake
Who should attend?
The WSET® Level 1 Award in Sake is intended for people who have little or no prior knowledge of sake. It is designed to provide a sound but simple introduction to sake. The qualification will assist those who need a basic familiarity with the main styles and categories of sake, for example people who work with sake as part of a larger beverage portfolio, in the retail and hospitality sectors.
How will you benefit?
Successful candidates will be able to list the principal categories of sake, and state their defining characteristics, and know the key principles involved in the storage and service of sake. They will consequently be in a position to answer customer queries and provide recommendations for the service of sake.
The qualification introduces candidates to:
- Main Sake ingredients
- Main production steps
- Principal categories and grades of sake
- Speciality styles of sake
- Controlled production steps
- Japanese labelling terms
- Storage and service
- Common faults
- Principles of food and sake pairing
- Social and health issues
To gain the Level 1 qualification candidates will be required to:
Complete a programme of training delivered by a WSET® Level 1 Approved Programme Provider
- a multiple choice paper of 30 questions
The course price includes: – The course material, the sake samples, the Wine and Spirit Education Trust’s examination (recognised in over 70 countries in the World) and the instruction
Required prior knowledge for course: – None
(N.B. if you are not sure, contact us, so that we can help you choose the course level according to your needs and objectives).
Guided Learning Outcomes – at the end of this course the candidate will be capable of:
- list and state the purpose of the main ingredients that are legally permitted in sake production
- list and state the purpose of the main production steps used to make sake
- name the principal categories and grades of sakes and state their characteristics
- name some of the speciality styles of sake and state their key characteristics
- state the production steps that are legally controlled for the principal and some speciality categories of sake
- recognise Japanese labelling terms of the principal categories of sake
- state the correct procedures for the storage and service of sake
- state the common faults found in sake
- state the key considerations when making a food and sake pairing recommendation
- state the social and health issued resulting from the excess consumption of sake
Progression Routes – Upon successful completion of the Level 1 Award in Sake, the candidate may progress to the following qualifications:
WSET® Level 3 Award in Sake: – For individuals seeking to develop their expertise in sake, this qualification will provide you with a detailed understanding of the production methods that affect the style, quality and price of sake. You will learn how to assess sakes accurately and use this information to make authoritative recommendations
For the course price, please follow this link…