The WSET® Level 1 Award in Wines
Who should attend?
This qualification was initially created for the front-of-house staff within the on-trade sector. It has grown into a course with global appeal, providing basic product knowledge to first time employees in the wine, or hotel industry and the interested consumer alike.
How will you benefit?
The aim of the course is to give a basic introduction to wine, followed by some basic food & wine matching.
The qualification introduces candidates to:
- the main styles of wine
- the WSET® Level 1 Systematic Approach to Tasting
- the characteristics of the common grape varieties used to produce wine
- Service of wine
- health, safety and legal issues
- the matching of food and wine
To gain the Level 1 qualification candidates will be required to:
Complete a programme of training delivered by a WSET® Level 1 Approved Programme Provider
- a multiple choice paper of 30 questions
- a food and wine matching exercise
- a portfolio of tasting notes
The course price includes: – The course material, the wine samples, the Wine and Spirit Education Trust’s examination (recognised in over 66 countries in the World) and the instruction
Required prior knowledge for the course: – None
Guided learning hours: – It is recommended that the teaching time for the Level 1 Award in Wines is no less than 6 hours and should be no more than 9 hours
Learning Outcomes – at the end of this course, the candidate will be capable of:
- describe in general terms the main styles of wines available
- display a basic understanding of the factors that determine the main styles of wine
- describe in general terms the main characteristics of the principal grape varieties
- state the procedures for the storage of wine
- state the procedures for the opening of wines
- state the social, health, safety and legal issues relating to the consumption of wine
- produce simple tasting notes using the Level 1 WSET® Systematic Approach to Tasting
- offer basic food and wine matching advice
Progression Routes – Upon successful completion of the Level 1 Award in Wines, the candidate may progress to the following qualifications:
WSET® Level 1 Award in Wine Service: – For individuals entering, or wishing to enter, the hospitality indistry, this qualification provides an introduction to wine service. The qualification covers critical service skills including glassware and service equipment, as well as selecting and serving wines
WSET® Level 1 Award in Spirits: – For individuals wishing to develop their expertise in spirits and liqueurs, this qualification provides comprehensive training. You will learn about the production methods and characteristics of the main spirit categories, while also exploring key brands and the use of spirits in cocktails
WSET® Level 2 Award in Wines and Spirits: – For individuals seeking a core understanding of wines, this qualification explores the major grape varieties and important wine regions in which they are grown. You will learn about the styles of wines produced from these grapes as well as key classifications and labelling terminology. A basic overview of the key categories of spirits and liqueurs will also be provided