Certificate: Introduction to wine and Swiss wine
The course is aimed at all students with basic wine knowledge but who require a more specific knowledge in Swiss wine than that offered by the WSET® Level 2 Award in Wines.
How will you benefit?
The course objective is to offer an intermediate level of knowledge in the specialised area of Swiss wine.
- the main white wine grape varieties
- the main red wine grape varieties
- the main rosé grape varieties
- reading the wine label
- food and wine matching
- wine tasting using the WSET® Level 2 systematic approach to tasting© wine
To gain this qualification, the candidates will be required to successfully complete:
Unit I (Theory)
- thirty (30) multiple choice questions.
Duration of the time-constrained exercise:
- forty-five (45) minutes.
The examination will be marked by l’école du vin – Seeland in Switzerland
Required prior knowledge for course: – none
(N.B. if you are not sure, contact us, so that we can help you choose the course level according to your needs and objectives).
Guided learning hours: – It is recommended that the teaching time for the course is no less than 6 hours and should be no more than 9 hours
Learning outcomes – at the end of this course the candidate will be able to:
- describe in general terms viticulture and vinification in Switzerland
- identify and describe the characteristics of the main grape varieties cultivated in Switzerland
- produce tasting notes using the WSET® Level 2 systematic approach to tasting
- provide information and advice on the correct storage and service of Swiss wines
- provide information on health issues relating to wines and spirits
- provide basic guidance on food and wine matching
Progression Routes – Upon successful completion of the course: Introduction to wine and Swiss Wine, the candidate may progress to the following qualifications:
WSET® Level 2 in Wines: – For individuals seeking a core understanding of wines, this qualification explores the major grape varieties and important wine regions in which they are grown. You will learn about the styles of wines produced from these grapes as well as key classifications and labelling terminology.
Advanced Certificate in Swiss Wine: – This qualification is intended to provide core knowledge of the wide range of wines produced in Switzerland. The qualification is designed for trade and hospitality employees working in a supervisory capacity who need to advise management, answer customer queries authoritatively, or make informed selections of Swiss Wines in a variety of situations
The WSET® Level 3 Award in Wines: – The WSET® Level 3 Award in Wines offers a wider coverage of the world’s wines, with a specific focus on tasting technique
Our Operations Management Courses:
- HoReCa Wine professional
- Advanced Wine Service Skills
- Beverage and Wine List Development
- Performance Analysis for Wine and Beverage Lists
- Manage Cellar and Beverage Operations