The WSET® Level 1 Award in Spirits
Who should attend?
This qualification aims to provide the basic product knowledge and skills in the service of spirits to prepare a person for their first job in hospitality or in other sectors of the spirits industry. This course may also appeal to the interested consumer.
How will you benefit?
The aim of the course is to give a basic introduction to spirits including detail on how to sell and serve them.
- the basic principles of spirit production
- the main types and styles of spirits
- how to serve spirits
- Factors affecting the flavour of spirits
- how to describe spirits using the WSET® Level 1 Systematic Approach to Tasting Spirits® (SAT)
- health, safety and legal issues
To gain the Level 1 qualification candidates will be required to:
Complete a programme of training delivered by a WSET® Level 1 Approved Programme Provider
- a multiple choice paper of 30 questions
- a portfolio of tasting notes
The course price includes: – The course material, the spirits samples, the examination as well as the instruction
Required prior knowledge for course: – None
(N.B. if you are not sure, contact us, so that we can help you choose the course level according to your needs and objectives).
Guided learning hours: – It is recommended that the teaching time for the course is no less than six and a half hours and should be no more than nine hours
Learning Outcomes – at the end of the this course, the candidate will be able to:
- describe in general terms the main categories of spirits available
- display a basic understanding of the general production processes for spirits
- describe in general terms the main factors that affect the style of spirits
- describe the different ways that spirits can be marketed
- describe the different types of spirit serves and which categories are appropriate for each spirit
- understand the main legal, social, health and safety condition when serving spirits
- produce simple tasting notes using the WSET® Level 1 Systematic Approach to Tasting Spirits
Progression Routes – Upon successful completion of the Level 1 Award in Spirits, the student may progress to the following qualifications:
WSET® Level 2 Award in Wines and Spirits: – For individuals seeking a core understanding of wines, this qualification explores the major grape varieties and important wine regions in which they are grown. You will learn about the styles of wines produced from these grapes as well as key classifications and labelling terminology. A basic overview of the key categories of spirits and liqueurs will also be provided
WSET® Level 2 Award in Spirits: – For individuals wishing to develop their expertise in spirits and liqueurs, this qualification provides comprehensive training. You will learn about the production methods and characteristics of the main spirits categories, while also exploring key brands and the use of spirits in cocktails.