Level 1 – Introduction to Wine & Swiss Wine 310121
Date / date / Datum
31st January 2021
Time / heure / Zeit
location / lieu / Kursstandort / luogo del corso
Level 1 – Certificate: Introduction to wine and Swiss wine
The course is aimed at all who are interested in wine but have little or no wine knowledge. As we are in a wine producing country we will also be introducing you to the main grape varieties produced in Switzerland.
How will you benefit?
The course objective is to offer an introductory level of knowledge as to how wine is made and the main styles of wine and grape varieties in the world. We will also be able to test some principles for food and wine matching.
- the main white wine grape varieties
- the main red wine grape varieties
- the main rosé grape varieties
- reading the wine label
- food and wine matching
- wine tasting using the WSET® Level 2 systematic approach to tasting©
- winestorage and service temperatures for wine
To gain this qualification, the candidates will be required to successfully complete:
Unit I (Theory)
- thirty (30) multiple choice questions
- a food and wine matching exercise completed in class
Duration of the time-constrained exercise:
- forty-five (45) minutes.
The examination will be marked by l’école du vin – Seeland in Switzerland
Required prior knowledge for course: – none
(N.B. if you are not sure, contact us, so that we can help you choose the course level according to your needs and objectives).
Guided learning hours: – It is recommended that the teaching time for the course is no less than 6 hours and should be no more than 9 hours
Learning outcomes – at the end of this course the candidate will be able to:
- describe in general terms viticulture and vinification in Switzerland
- identify and describe the characteristics of the main grape varieties cultivated in Switzerland
- produce tasting notes using the WSET® Level 2 systematic approach to tasting
- provide information and advice on the correct storage and service of Swiss wines
- provide information on health issues relating to wines and spirits
- provide basic guidance on food and wine matching
Progression Routes – Upon successful completion of the course: Introduction to wine and Swiss Wine, the candidate may progress to the following qualifications:
Level 2 – WSET® in Wines: – For individuals seeking a core understanding of wines, this qualification explores the major grape varieties and important wine regions in which they are grown. You will learn about the styles of wines produced from these grapes as well as key classifications and labelling terminology.
Level 3 Advanced Certificate in Swiss Wine: – This qualification is intended to provide core knowledge of the wide range of wines produced in Switzerland. The qualification is designed for trade and hospitality employees working in a supervisory capacity who need to advise management, answer customer queries authoritatively, or make informed selections of Swiss wines in a variety of situations
The WSET® Level 3 Award in Wines: – The WSET® Level 3 Award in Wines offers a wider coverage of the world’s wines, with a specific focus on tasting technique