The Institute of Brewing and Distilling qualifications:
- Fundamentals: Individuals who are not directly working in production (HR, Sales, Accounts, etc.).
- General Certificate: Individuals looking to start or currently working in production.
- Diploma: Individuals working at management level in production.
- Masters: Individuals working in high level management across production, planning, procurement and purchasing.
Fundamentals of Brewing & Packaging:Typical candidates are those working in sales, marketing, HR, and finance who would benefit from background knowledge in brewing production. The Fundamentals of Brewing & Packaging (FBPB) require a basic knowledge of the processes used to produce and package the many types of beer consumed worldwide. The production of most beer styles involves many common features and the purpose of this qualification is to provide a basic grounding in the technical features of brewing and packaging of beers for both production personnel and for people employed in brewery companies (and related industries), but in non-technical roles.
- Study time: you will need to allocate 50 hours of study for this qualification
- Set at NQF / IQF Level 2 for this qualification
General Certificate in Brewing: The General Certificate in Brewing gives international recognition of the basic, under-pinning scientific knowledge and understanding in the principles of brewing operations.
- Study time: you will need to allocate 80 hours of study for this qualification
- Set at NQF / IQF Level 3 for this qualification
Diploma in Brewing: The Diploma in Brewing examination is a measure of the candidate’s theoretical knowledge of brewing science and technology. The objective of the Diploma in Brewing is to give international recognition of comprehensive knowledge and understanding of the principles of brewing science and technology.
- Study time: you will need to allocate 360 hours of study for this qualification
- Set at NQF / IQF Level 4 for this qualification (First / second year of a science degree)
Master Brewer: The Master Brewer is the highest level of brewing qualification offered by the IBD. It is a measure of the level of a candidate’s competence in the technical management of the brewing processes. Although they are competence-based assessments, it is essential that the candidate has a background which includes a detailed technical knowledge of the scientific theory and principles that underpins the process.
- Study time: you will need to allocate 3 to 5 years of study post diploma for this qualification
- Set at NQF / IQF Level 7 for this qualification (degree or masters degree)
N.B. Please note that we do not, as yet offer all the IBD qualifications but aim to do over the coming years. All the IBD courses are currently only available in the English language