The WSET® Level 2 Award in Wines and Spirits
Who should attend?
A trade qualification for employees serving and selling wine and spirits, that will give students an excellent all-round product knowledge. The course is also suitable for the interested consumer.
How will you benefit?
The qualification focuses on the key grape varieties and regions of the world. Wine tasting is part of every class.
- how wine is made and other factors influencing the style of wine
- key white grape varieties
- key black grape varieties
- wine-producing regions of the world
- sparkling wines
- sweet wines and fortified wines
- spirits and liqueurs
- label terminology
- food and wine matching
- how to taste wine, using the Level 2 Systematic Approach to Tasting
To gain the Level 2 qualification, candidates will be required to:
- a multiple choice paper of 50 questions
(N.B. instruction, exam and study material in the English language)
Included in the course price are: – The course material, the wine samples, the Wine and Spirit Education Trust examination (recognised in over 66 countries around the world), the teaching as well as access to our study support website during the duration of the course
Required prior knowledge for the course: – no prior knowledge is required. But an advantage, to have followed the WSET® Level 1 Award in Wines
Guided learning hours: – It is recommended that a candidate should allocate at least 28 hours of study to complete the programme. The hours will usually be a combination of taught and private study time. It is also recommended that the teaching delivery time for the unit programme is not less than 16 hours
Learning outcomes – at the end of this course, the candidate will be able to:
- demonstrate an understanding of the factors that influence the main styles of wine
- describe the characteristics of the principal grape varieties
- use the key terms on a bottle label to deduce the style and flavours of wines made from principal grape varieties and regions
- apply principles of food and wine matching to the key styles of wine available
- use the WSET® Systematic Approach to Tasting to produce descriptions of wines
- provide information on health issues relating to wines and spirits
- provide information and advice on the correct storage and service of wines and spirits
Progression Routes – Upon successful completion of the Level 2 Award in Wines and Spirits, the candidate may progress to the following qualifications:
WSET® Level 2 Award in Spirits: – For individuals wishing to develop their expertise in spirits and liqueurs, this qualification provides comprehensive training. You will learn about the production methods and characteristics of the main spirits categories, while also exploring key brands and the use of spirits in cocktails
WSET® Level 3 Award in Wines: – For individuals seeking to delve deeper into the world of wines, this qualification provides detailed understanding of the factors that affect style, quality and price. You will learn how to assess wines accurately and use your understanding to make authoritative recommendations
Please note that: – The WSET® Level 2 Award in Wines and Spirits, or an equivalent level of experience, is required for entry to the WSET® Level 3 Award in Wines programme